Sunday, May 4, 2008

Ordos 100

Ordos 100...
100 Architects invited to design 100 individual houses in 100 days for people with too much money.
On one hand, this is a great opportunity for young architects to be exposed to each other and share their architectural bravado with the world. I have my reservations but I also can respect that someone is willing to invest such astronomical moneys.
However, I can also take of it as a mockery of Architecture as a machination of consumption of spectacle. If you can create a kind of architectural masterpieces in 100 days that created history, instead of being left on pages of history as failures, then I will stand corrected. I may be rare species who romanticize architecture is profound and time-tested and therefore takes lengthly process and contemplation.
On the other hand, it is an extremely naive and to me a demurring act towards architecture.
I read a New York Times article recently and its open paragraph had two young architects react to their luxurious reception as "having a taste of what Zaha is like." Poor souls.
Zaha is Zaha because she spent decades on her craft, not because of starchitect reception.
So for those young architects, I hope they are not blinded by delusional self-importance concocted by a schema that sees architecture as lightly as Swarovsky crystals or Wal-Mart plastics.
Ordos 100 is a double-edged sword in every sense of words.
Either it is a great success and it will be a breeding ground of new epoch of Architecture,
or an epochal mirage of past architectural dementia.
I predict that as a product of Disneyfication of Architecture, this project would end up like a flavor-of-the-month Coney Island theme park.
What is left of it in five decades would be a monumental carcasses of ruins.
Our antecedents would look at this, scoff, and grin at repetition of human predictability.
Oh what an amazing ruins it will be!

No comments: